Research and Travel Grants for ABC Master’s Students
ABC MA students may apply for financial support for their thesis research or for travel to conventions during this academic year based on availability of funds.
The Fall deadline for submission of research or travel grants is November 17, 2017; the Spring deadline is March 1, 2018.
The deadline for attendance at the 25th International Conference On Comparative Cognition (CO3) is TBA.
- ABC Thesis Research Grants: Students in the ABC MA program may apply for funds, a maximum of $2,500, to be used for travel and research associated costs such as the equipment and supplies necessary for conducting the research. Prior to initiation of research IACUC and/or IRB approval must be obtained if appropriate. Funds cannot be used for research that causes pain, injury or harm to animals or the environment.
Questions about your application as well as supplementary material is to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the words "Research Grant Application" in the subject line.
The application for thesis research support must include:
1. Proposal (maximum of 4 pages, double spaced)
a. Project title
b. Statement of the research problem, purpose and/or hypotheses
c. Project design including subjects, equipment, procedure, and data analyses
d. Estimate of anticipated time required for completion of the various phases of the project
e. Reference list
2. Budget – Estimated cost and justification for each item is required. Receipts are necessary for reimbursement and must be submitted within one year from grant onset; unused funds are to be returned. The tax exempt form is to be used for equipment purchases. Equipment purchased from the grant is to be returned to the ABC Equipment Library after completion of the research.
Note: Equipment that can be used for multiple projects, such as binoculars and cameras, will be available from the ABC equipment library and thus should not be included in the budget.
3. A letter of support from the student’s thesis advisor is required. Applications without the letter will not be considered.
- ABC Travel Grants for ABC MA Students: Students presenting talks or posters at scientific conferences are eligible for grants of up to $1,500 towards costs of attending the conference (registration, travel, hotel expenses). Documentation in the form of an accepted abstract must be provided. Receipts for expenses must be submitted. Students are encouraged but not required to use the ABC travel award for attendance at the Conference on Comparative Cognition.
- Special funding for attendance at CO3 (April 4th to 7th 2018) in Melbourne Beach, Florida: This is intended as a special ABC event. Funds up to $800 are available for students to attend the conference even if they’re not presenting. Documentation of attendance and receipts of expenses must be submitted.